What is it?
3G/HD/SD 2 x 2 routing switch.
Reason to choose it...
It's a cost-effective solution for simple 2 x 2 switching when you're using 3Gb/s, HD or SD sources. Either manually switch at the appropriate point in the vertical blanking for minimal distribution or make it an auto changeover switch and set it to automatically switch on missing input, invalid signal or invalid format. You can use the programmable delay to ensure you've definitely got a stable input before you switch back, and even opt for relay bypass protection to prevent signal loss for that extra peace of mind.
Any 3Gb/s, HD or SD simple switching application where minor disruption to the output doesn't matter – such as before other processing equipment or before an MPEG encoder which is protected by a synchroniser.
Got a question?
We would be very happy to answer any questions you've got about the SW221 3G. Either send us an e-mail or get an immediate response by speaking to us now on our Live Chat...
- Main features
- What outputs do I get?
- What do I order?
- Who's using it?
- 3G/HD/SD 2 x 2 routing switch
- Provides simple switching between two 3Gb/s, HD or SD signals
- Can be used as emergency switch or to bypass products requiring maintenance
- Manually switch either immediately or in vertical blanking
- Automatic switching on detection of missing input, invalid signal or invalid format
- Switch back automatically or by user intervention, and use the programmable delay to ensure you've got a stable input
- Save yourself a DA in your system, with two outputs of the first switched signal
- Inputs and outputs accessed by using an appropriate rear module (either RM53 or RM54)
- Relay bypass protection available on RM54 frame rear module
- Housed in Indigo rack frames
- Space-saving: 100mm x 266mm module allows 12 SW221 3G in 2U (six in 1U and two in desk top box)
- Flexible control: board edge, GPI, frame integrated control panel, Ethernet remote control panel (REMIND-E), SNMP or PC software
- Five year warranty (with product registration)
Reliable and cost-effective switching
The SW221 3G provides simple 2 x 2 switching between two 3Gb/s, HD or SD signals, making it ideal for use either as an emergency transmission switch to avoid broken equipment or to manually bypass products requiring maintenance on a 24 hour station.
Where a single point of failure is involved you need something that you know will always work. Broadcasters choose the SW221 3G because of its functionality, its price and because they trust it for this critical task.
Triggering the switch
The SW221 3G is ideal for switching between the main and backup feeds of a television station, and offers independent control of the two outputs.
With manual switching there is the choice of switching between the two feeds either immediately or in the vertical blanking period, with the SW221 3G detecting the video standard and switching at the appropriate point to enable a cleaner switch.
It can also be used as an auto changeover switch. An automatic switch away from a faulty source is triggered immediately on loss of input or invalid video, determined by loss of the sync word structure. A single format can be set as valid, allowing the SW221 3G to automatically switch away from inputs that are legal but not the correct format.
Choose when to switch back
Switching back can either be automatic or by user intervention.
When set to automatic the board will switch back if the original input returns to a valid state, with a programmable delay ensuring that the previously faulty input remains good for the selected time period.
When set to user activated it will stay on the new selection until the routing is changed by the operator, or the new input becomes invalid.
Get multiple outputs of your switched signal
The SW221 3G provides two outputs of the first switched signal, along with one output of the other – with the secondary signal output ideal for previewing both the main and the backup feeds.
Save rack space - and protect your output
The SW221 3G will save you rack space, with this 100mm x 266mm module fitting in Crystal Vision’s standard frames and allowing easy integration with any products from the range.
The inputs and outputs are accessed by using the RM53 and RM54 frame rear modules. The RM54 includes relay bypass protection on power failure or board removal, giving that extra layer of security and preventing signal loss.
Choose your control
SW221 3G’s flexible control options give you the choice of board edge switches, front and remote panels, SNMP, GPIs and PC software.
Standard Crystal Vision module 266mm x 100mm
Power consumption: 11 Watts
Two 3Gb/s, HD or SD inputs (1 and 2)
270Mb/s or 1.5Gb/s or 3Gb/s serial compliant to EBU 3267-E, SMPTE 259M, SMPTE 292M and SMPTE 424M
The video formats supported are 625, 525, 720p50, 720p59.94, 720p60, 1080i50, 1080i59.94, 1080i60, 1080p50, 1080p59.94 and 1080p60
3Gb/s cable equalisation up to 80m using Belden 1694A. HD cable equalisation up to 140m with Belden 1694A or equivalent (approx. 100m with Belden 8281). SD cable equalisation >250m Belden 8281 or equivalent
Input return loss: - 15dB for 50MHz to 1.5GHz
Auto 50/59.94/60Hz and video format selection
Two independent ports with two outputs of the first input and one output of the second using RM53 and RM54 frame rear modules
270Mb/s or 1.5Gb/s or 3Gb/s serial compliant to EBU 3267-E, SMPTE 259, SMPTE 292-1 and SMPTE 424/425-A. Output follows the input format
The RM54 frame rear module provides relay bypass protection. An electromechanical relay switch needs power to hold the switch in one state and will revert to the other state (board bypass) on loss of power. It prevents signal loss by mechanically connecting input 1 of the SW221 3G to its main output 1 on complete frame power failure or board removal
DELAY THROUGH BOARD
The switch timing can be either immediate or timed and will apply to both outputs
Timed switching as defined in SMPTE RP168-2002 or immediate switching if input missing
A timed switch will occur in the correct time period according to the reference input (input 2 if valid)
The outputs of the switch can be configured to automatically switch away from a missing input or non-valid signal. A single format can be set as valid, so that the SW221 3G automatically switches away from inputs that are legal but not the correct format
The SW221 3G can be set to switch back automatically or by user intervention
Automatically: the board will switch back if the original input returns to a valid state. A programmable delay can be added to ensure the previously faulty input remains good for the selected time period
User intervention: if the board auto switches away from an invalid input it will stay on the new selection until the routing is changed by the user, or the new input becomes invalid
LED INDICATION OF:
Input 1 valid
Input 2 valid
Main output source
Secondary output source
GPI INPUT LEVELS
Active pull to ground, pulled up to +5V through 4700 ohm
GPI OUTPUT LEVELS
Electrically: Open collector transistors 48V, 270 ohm current limit resistors. Pulled up to +5V through 6800 ohm
Four GPI inputs
Used to control input selection/routing, plus tally out
GPI control allows for direct connection to lamps and switches or to an automation system
Two GPI outputs
Used as input present indications
Intuitive board edge interface with two select buttons, shaft encoder and ten character alphanumeric display
19200 baud, 8 bits, 1 stop no parity
Control from integrated control panel on AE frames and remote panel
Statesman Lite allows control from any PC on a network
SNMP monitoring and control available as a frame option
What outputs do I get?
RM53 rear module label and connections
More about the RM53
Connectors: 6 BNCs
Frame slots used: 1
Boards in 2U: 12
Boards in 1U: 6
Boards in desk top box: 2
Why use it: You're looking for the most cost-effective rear module for SW221 3G and don't need relay bypass protection
RM54 rear module label and connections
More about the RM54
Connectors: 6 BNCs
Frame slots used: 1
Boards in 2U: 12
Boards in 1U: 6
Boards in desk top box: 3
Why use it: You want relay bypass protection
What do I order?
First you need the 100mm x 266mm module...
- SW221 3G
- 3G/HD/SD 2 x 2 routing switch
Next choose your frame size and power supplies - from 2U to desk top box...
- Indigo 2AE
- 2U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU and integrated control panel for up to 12 Crystal Vision modules. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 2SE
- CoolFlow 2U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to 12 Crystal Vision modules. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 1AE
- 1U frame with active front panel featuring smart CPU and integrated control panel for up to six Crystal Vision modules. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 1SE
- 1U frame with active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to six Crystal Vision modules. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 1AE-DP
- 1U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU and integrated control panel for up to six Crystal Vision modules. Includes two fixed PS-80i power supplies. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 1SE-DP
- 1U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to six Crystal Vision modules. Includes two fixed PS-80i power supplies. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo DT
- Desk top box with passive front panel for up to two Crystal Vision modules. Includes fixed power supply
- Indigo DTSE
- Desk top box with active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to two Crystal Vision modules. Includes fixed power supply. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- 160 Watts power supply for 1U (non-DP) and 2U frames. 1U frames require one PSU-160i (no redundancy). 2U frames require either one PSU-160i (no redundancy) or two PSU-160i if power supply redundancy is required
You need a rear module to access your inputs and outputs...
- Single slot frame rear module. Allows maximum number of SW221 3G in frame (12 in 2U, six in 1U, two in desk top box). Gives access to two 3Gb/s, HD or SD inputs with two outputs of the first signal and one output of the second
- Single slot frame rear module. Allows maximum number of SW221 3G in frame (12 in 2U, six in 1U, two in desk top box). Provides relay bypass protection of the input. Gives access to two 3Gb/s, HD or SD inputs with two outputs of the first signal and one output of the second
Finally - control. Use board edge switches, the integrated control panel if you've selected one of the 'AE' frames, or alternatively order one of the items below...
- 19" Ethernet remote control panel (control an unlimited number of Crystal Vision frames over an Ethernet network)
- Statesman Lite
- PC Control System
- SNMP monitoring and control available as a frame option
Who's using it?
Users of Crystal Vision's routing switches include...
- Accelerate Global Sales (USA)
- Advanced Broadcast Services (UK)
- Advanced Media Trading (UAE)
- Airborne Mobile (Canada)
- Al-Mawaddah Channel (Jordan)
- Anxi Cia Ltda. (Ecuador)
- ATG Broadcast (UK)
- AVB Ltd. (Georgia)
- AVC (UK)
- BBC (UK)
- BBC Studios and Post Production (UK)
- BFE Studio (Germany)
- BSkyB (UK)
- Caracol Televisión (Colombia)
- Chello Central Europe (Hungary)
- Closed Caption Latina (Colombia)
- Corporacion Ecuatoriana de Television (Ecuador)
- Czech TV (Czech Republic)
- dB Broadcast (UK)
- Dega Broadcast Systems (UK)
- Det Danske Filminstitut (Denmark)
- Dynacord Bulgaria (Bulgaria)
- Elektronika (Czech Republic)
- Ericsson Hellas (Greece)
- ERT (Greece)
- ESPN Star Sports/Fox Sports (Singapore)
- Fedex TV (USA)
- FOR-A Italia (Italy)
- Fox TV (USA)
- Gunk TV (Belgium)
- Hodhod TV (UAE)
- INX News (India)
- IQ Broadcast (UK)
- ITV (UK)
- Magic TV (Cyprus)
- Megahertz Broadcast Systems (UK)
- Ment TV (Belgium)
- Mitcorp (UK)
- Music Choice (USA)
- News 24 (Albania)
- Nine Network (Australia)
- OKNO-TV (Russia)
- ORF (Austria)
- Playbox Technology (UK)
- Playbox Technology Asia Pacific (Malaysia)
- Princess Productions (UK)
- ProSiebenSat.1 Media (Germany)
- Rentak Setia (Malaysia)
- Sono Pro Inc. (Canada)
- Studios A/S (Denmark)
- Sunil Tech (South Korea)
- TBS (USA)
- TCM (USA)
- TCS Telecom e Serv. Srl (Italy)
- Telecolor (Italy)
- Telefonica O2 (Czech Republic)
- Television Media Network (Pakistan)
- Teltechco (Vietnam)
- The London Studios (UK)
- Travel Channel (UK)
- TRT (Turkey)
- Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. [Network Operations Division] (USA)
- TVP (Poland)
- TV SYD (Denmark)
- Universal Media Services (USA)
- University of Central Florida (USA)
- University of York (UK)
- Videowork Srl (Italy)
- Viettel (Vietnam)
- Vizrt (Austria)
- Vizrt, Inc. (USA)
- VSC (UK)
- VTC (Vietnam)
- William Hill (UK)
- WJHG-TV (USA)
- WMBB-TV (USA)
- WPCH-TV (USA)
- What does it cost? Request a quote for SW221 3G...
- The SW221 3G module needs to be housed in a rack frame - look at the frame options
- Bought Crystal Vision products in the last 60 days? Register these products now to upgrade your standard three year warranty to five years
- Configure a system using our System Builder online product selector
- Tell us what you want to achieve with your system - our product experts will work out the best way to do it!
- Smart Switch 3G 3G/HD/SD 2 x 2 intelligent routing switch
- Safe Switch 3G 3G/HD/SD 2 x 2 clean switch
- Safe Switch-L 3G 3G/HD/SD 2 x 2 clean switch (extra outputs)
- SW803 3G 3G/HD/SD 8 x 3 crosspoint routing switch
Not sure which switch is best for your application? Have a look at our routing switches comparison chart to help you make a decision...
Crystal Vision Ltd. is registered in England number 03139895. Registered office: Lion Technology Park, Station Road East, Whittlesford, Cambridge, CB22 4WL, England.
Tel: +44 (0)1223 497049 Fax: +44 (0)1223 497059 E-mail: email@example.com