What is it?
Dual channel fibre optic to 3Gb/s, HD or SD receiver.
Reason to choose it...
It combines robust technology that will take care of your signals over long distances with easy integration with our other products – and will save you money and rack space by being a dual channel product, with 24 channels fitting in 2U. It can even double as a distribution amplifier. The FRX 3G is trusted by broadcasters who have bought hundreds at a time.
Any SMPTE 297-2006 short-haul applications where 3Gb/s, HD and SD sources need to be transported over long distances – such as moving signals around in big installations. See who's using it.
Try out the FRX 3G VisionWeb demo (opens in new window) – you'll see how easy it is to operate FRX 3G from your web browser, while exploring the full functionality of the product.
Got a question?
We would be very happy to answer any questions you've got about the FRX 3G. Either send us an e-mail or get an immediate response by speaking to us now on our Live Chat...
- Main features
- What outputs do I get?
- What do I order?
- Who's using it?
- Dual channel fibre optic receiver - get up to 24 channels of fibre in 2U!
- Works with 3Gb/s, HD and Standard Definition sources
- Receives digital signals (with embedded audio) which have been sent over long distances via fibre
- Ideal for moving signals in large installations or between OB vehicles
- Easy to use it with Crystal Vision's interface and keying modules: fits in standard frames
- Two independent optical inputs, each with two reclocked 3Gb/s, HD or SD outputs - meaning it doubles as a distribution amplifier
- All outputs are DVB-ASI compatible (mixture of non-inverted and inverted outputs)
- Meets the SMPTE 297-2006 short-haul specification, allowing operation with single-mode and multi-mode fibre
- Passes all 3Gb/s, HD and SD signals transparently, including pathological signals
- Inputs and outputs accessed by using an appropriate rear module (RM55)
- Housed in Indigo rack frames
- Space-saving: 100mm x 266mm module allows 12 FRX 3G in 2U (six in 1U and two in desk top box)
- Flexible control: board edge, GPI, frame integrated control panel, VisionPanel remote control panel, SNMP, ASCII and JSON protocols, Statesman Lite PC software or the web browser-based VisionWeb Control
- Five year warranty (with product registration)
Transport your signals reliably
The FRX 3G fibre optic receiver helps provide a robust transport medium for transmitting 3Gb/s, HD or SD signals over large distances in a robust, reliable and space-saving way.
The FRX 3G allows you to easily meet the challenges created by the limited range of coaxial cable with HD and 3Gb/s video - without an increase in the cost or complexity of your system.
It is ideal for use with the FTX-L 3G fibre optic transmitter, but can be used with alternative transmitters.
What does it do?
The FRX 3G receives a serial digital signal which has been sent down a fibre optic cable. It has two optical inputs with two reclocked 3Gb/s, HD or SD outputs per channel. This means it actually doubles as a DA and reduces the need, rack space and cost of having distribution amplifiers after the receiver.
All outputs are DVB-ASI compatible, with one non-inverted output and one inverted output per channel.
The FRX 3G recognises whether the standard is 3G/HD or SD and switches the slew rate automatically.
Use it with single-mode and multi-mode fibre
The FRX 3G meets the SMPTE 297-2006 short-haul specification, allowing operation with the more popular single-mode fibre, as well as multi-mode fibre.
This makes it suitable for a wide range of applications - from moving signals in large installations to passing signals between Outside Broadcast vehicles.
Pass light more effectively
The FRX 3G includes a number of useful features.
Sometimes factors such as dirty connectors or damaged fibre cables can cause light to be passed less effectively. You can therefore monitor the received power in both microwatts and dBm, allowing you to judge the amount of headroom you have and guarantee that your signal will be transmitted successfully.
Save rack space
The FRX 3G is a 100mm x 266mm dual channel module, which brings financial and rack space savings with up to 24 channels possible in a 2U frame.
As part of the normal Crystal Vision range, the FRX 3G is housed in the Indigo frames in a choice of three sizes: 2U, 1U and desk top box. This makes it remarkably easy to send signals on to the company's interface or keying modules.
The inputs and outputs are accessed by using the RM55 frame rear module.
Choose your control
Status monitoring and basic control can be performed by using either board edge switches, an integrated control panel on the AE frames, the VisionPanel remote control panel, SNMP, the Statesman Lite PC software or the VisionWeb web browser control. Try the FRX 3G VisionWeb demo...
Board edge LEDs provide status reporting and can provide visual assistance when fault finding.
Standard Crystal Vision module 266mm x 100mm
Power consumption: 3.5 Watts
Two optical inputs
Meets the SMPTE 297-2006 specification. This allows operation with single-mode and multi-mode fibre
Optical wavelength: 1260-1620nm
Input level maximum: -1dBm
Input level minimum: Typical -20dBm (-18dBm 3Gb/s pathological)
Connector type: SC/PC
Two reclocked 3Gb/s, HD or SD outputs per channel using RM55 frame rear module
Will drive 270Mb/s or 1.5Gb/s or 3Gb/s serial compliant to SMPTE 259 or ASI data, SMPTE 292-1 and SMPTE 424/425-A
Passes all 3Gb/s, HD and SD signals transparently, including pathological signals
All outputs are DVB-ASI compatible, with one non-inverted output and one inverted output per channel
Recognises whether the standard is 3G/HD or SD and switches the slew rate automatically
POSITION IN FRAME
The FRX 3G can be housed in any frame slot position but due to its extra height it is not possible to place most Standard Definition or audio cards directly above it when the FRX 3G is in even numbered slot positions. 3Gb/s and HD cards do not share this restriction
The FRX 3G can be housed in 2U frames shipped from February 2005, 1U frames shipped from June 2005 and desk top boxes shipped from April 2008. It can also be housed in any of the now-obsolete 4U frames
DELAY THROUGH BOARD
Link delay less than 100ns
LED INDICATION OF:
Power supplies okay
Optical input present
GPI OUTPUT LEVELS
Electrically: Open collector transistors 30V, 270 ohm current limit resistors. Pulled up to +5V through 6800 ohm
Two GPI outputs
Input present for each channel
Selectable HD/SD slew rate
Monitoring from integrated control panel on AE frames and remote panel
Statesman Lite allows monitoring from any PC on a network
VisionWeb Control is available via the web server on the frame and allows operation using a standard web browser on a PC or tablet
SNMP monitoring and control available as a frame option
Control using ASCII and JSON protocols
What outputs do I get?
RM55 rear module label and connections
More about the RM55
Connectors: 4 BNCs and 2 optical input/output connectors
Frame slots used: 1
Boards in 2U: 12
Boards in 1U: 6
Boards in desk top box: 2
Why use it: It's the only rear module for the FRX 3G
Also used for: FTX-L 3G
For more visual technical information, download the FRX 3G block diagram.
What do I order?
First you need the 100mm x 266mm module...
- FRX 3G
- Dual channel fibre optic to 3Gb/s, HD or SD receiver
Next choose your frame size and power supplies - from 2U to desk top box...
- Indigo 2AE
- 2U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU and integrated control panel for up to 12 Crystal Vision modules. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 2SE
- CoolFlow 2U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to 12 Crystal Vision modules. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 1AE
- 1U frame with active front panel featuring smart CPU and integrated control panel for up to six Crystal Vision modules. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 1SE
- 1U frame with active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to six Crystal Vision modules. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 1AE-DP
- 1U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU and integrated control panel for up to six Crystal Vision modules. Includes two fixed PS-80i power supplies. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 1SE-DP
- 1U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to six Crystal Vision modules. Includes two fixed PS-80i power supplies. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo DT
- Desk top box with passive front panel for up to two Crystal Vision modules. Includes fixed power supply
- Indigo DTSE
- Desk top box with active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to two Crystal Vision modules. Includes fixed power supply. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- 160 Watts power supply for 1U (non-DP) and 2U frames. 1U frames require one PSU-160i (no redundancy). 2U frames require either one PSU-160i (no redundancy) or two PSU-160i if power supply redundancy is required
You need a rear module to access your inputs and outputs...
- Single slot frame rear module. Allows maximum number of FRX 3G in frame (12 in 2U, six in 1U). Gives access to two optical inputs and two 3Gb/s, HD or SD outputs per channel
Finally - control. Use board edge switches, the integrated control panel if you've selected one of the 'AE' frames, a web browser running the free VisionWeb Control (included within the frame software), or alternatively order one of the items below...
- 3U Ethernet remote control panel with touch screen
- Statesman Lite
- Free-of-charge PC Control System - download the latest version
- SNMP monitoring and control available as a frame option
Who's using it?
Users of Crystal Vision fibre optic transmitters and receivers include...
- What does it cost? Request a quote for FRX 3G...
- What controls has it got? Try out the VisionWeb demo for FRX 3G...
- Want more information? Get the FRX 3G user manual (and SNMP MIB) by signing up for the Registered Area now
- The FRX 3G module needs to be housed in a rack frame - look at the frame options
- Bought Crystal Vision products in the last 60 days? Register these products now to upgrade your standard three year warranty to five years
From the Indigo frame system...
- FTX-L 3G 3G/HD/SD fibre optic transmitter
From the Vision frame system...
Or why not explore our range of up and down converters, synchronisers, routing switches, aspect ratio converters, colour correctors, video delays and audio embedders that include the option of integrated fibre input or output?
Crystal Vision Ltd. is registered in England number 03139895. Registered office: Lion Technology Park, Station Road East, Whittlesford, Cambridge, CB22 4WL, England.
Tel: +44 (0)1223 497049 Fax: +44 (0)1223 497059 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org