What is it?
Dual channel 3Gb/s, HD or SD to fibre optic transmitter.
Reason to choose it...
It combines robust technology that will take care of your signals over long distances with easy integration with our other products – and will save you money and rack space by being a dual channel product, with 24 channels fitting in 2U. The FTX-L 3G is trusted by broadcasters who have bought hundreds at a time.
Any SMPTE 297-2006 short-haul applications where 3Gb/s, HD and SD sources need to be transported over long distances – such as moving signals around in big installations. See who's using it.
Try out the FTX-L 3G VisionWeb demo (opens in new window) – you'll see how easy it is to operate FTX-L 3G from your web browser, while exploring the full functionality of the product.
Got a question?
We would be very happy to answer any questions you've got about the FTX-L 3G. Either send us an e-mail or get an immediate response by speaking to us now on our Live Chat...
- Main features
- What outputs do I get?
- What do I order?
- Who's using it?
- Dual channel fibre optic transmitter - get up to 24 channels of fibre in 2U!
- Works with 3Gb/s, HD and Standard Definition sources
- Send digital signals (with embedded audio) over long distances
- Ideal for moving signals in large installations or between OB vehicles
- Easy to use it with Crystal Vision's interface and keying modules: fits in Indigo frames
- Two independent 3Gb/s, HD or SD inputs, each with one optical output
- Meets the SMPTE 297-2006 short-haul specification, allowing operation with single-mode and multi-mode fibre
- Passes all 3Gb/s, HD and SD signals transparently, including pathological signals
- Use the two input loop-throughs to distribute the input video to equipment such as a picture monitor, or to check which equipment or cable is broken without breaking any connections
- CWDM lasers available on request in ten different wavelength pairs - allowing you to get multiple signals through one fibre and saving you money and rack space
- Inputs and outputs accessed by using an appropriate rear module (RM55)
- Housed in Indigo rack frames
- Space-saving: 100mm x 266mm module allows 12 FTX-L 3G in 2U (six in 1U and two in desk top box)
- Flexible monitoring: board edge, GPI, frame integrated control panel, VisionPanel remote control panel, SNMP, ASCII and JSON protocols, Statesman Lite PC software or the web browser-based VisionWeb Control
- Five year warranty (with product registration)
- This product is available to either purchase or hire, with hire pricing typically 6% of list price per week (with one week minimum hire period and £200 minimum charge)
Transport your signals reliably
The FTX-L 3G fibre optic transmitter provides a robust transport medium to transmit 3Gb/s, HD or SD signals over long distances in a robust, reliable and space-saving way.
The FTX-L 3G allows you to easily meet the challenges created by the limited range of coaxial cable with HD and 3Gb/s video - without an increase in the cost or complexity of your system.
It is ideal for use with the FRX 3G fibre optic receiver, but can be used with alternative receivers.
What does it do?
The FTX-L 3G transmits a serial digital signal down a fibre optic cable and has two independent 3Gb/s, HD or SD inputs, each with one optical output.
Specially modified laser modules allow the FTX-L 3G to cope successfully with pathological signals - with this challenging test pattern useful for testing your serial link.
Use it with single-mode and multi-mode fibre
The FTX-L 3G meets the SMPTE 297-2006 short-haul specification, allowing operation with the more popular single-mode fibre, as well as multi-mode fibre.
This makes it suitable for a wide range of applications - from moving signals in large installations to passing signals between Outside Broadcast vehicles.
The FTX-L 3G comes with all the safety features you would expect.
These include a Class I laser that will automatically switch off if there is no video input or if any of the laser's critical parameters are exceeded. The laser can also be shut down manually. A warning is given when the laser is approaching the end of its expected lifetime, with this warning triggered after approximately 85% of the expected lifetime has expired.
Distribute your input video - or check your system
The FTX-L 3G includes two input loop-throughs. These can be assigned as one loop-through per channel or both loop-throughs can be assigned to Input 1.
These loop-throughs can be used to distribute the input video to equipment such as a picture monitor, or alternatively for system checking: if a signal path has a good input and a faulty output, you can use the spare output to check each stage of the system without breaking any of the connections, and so work out which equipment or cable is broken.
Get multiple signals through one fibre - with CWDM
The FTX-L 3G uses a standard 1310nm laser, but Crystal Vision can alternatively provide precise CWDM lasers on request.
CWDM (coarse wavelength division multiplexing) allows many signals to be transmitted down a single fibre link by using a different wavelength of light for each signal - saving you money and rack space.
By fitting the appropriate CWDM laser and using an external combiner, you can take the output signal from the FTX-L 3G and combine it with signals from other sources down one fibre.
The output wavelengths are defined by the ITU and are available in the following ten combinations: 1271nm and 1291nm, 1311nm and 1331nm, 1351nm and 1371nm, 1391nm and 1411nm, 1431nm and 1451nm, 1471nm and 1491nm, 1511nm and 1531nm, 1551nm and 1571nm, 1591nm and 1611nm or 1310nm and 1550nm.
For CWDM, please order the FTX-CWDM 3G version and specify the laser wavelength pair required.
Save rack space
The FTX-L 3G is a 100mm x 266mm dual channel module, which brings financial and rack space savings with up to 24 channels possible in a 2U frame.
As part of the normal Crystal Vision range, the FTX-L 3G is housed in the Indigo frames in a choice of three sizes: 2U, 1U and desk top box. This makes it remarkably easy to transport the signals from the company's interface or keying modules.
The inputs and outputs are accessed by using the RM55 frame rear module.
Choose your control
Status monitoring and basic control can be performed by using either board edge switches, an integrated control panel on the AE frames, the VisionPanel remote control panel, SNMP, the Statesman Lite PC software or the VisionWeb web browser control. Try the FTX-L 3G VisionWeb demo...
Board edge LEDs provide status reporting and can provide visual assistance when fault finding.
Standard Crystal Vision module 266mm x 100mm
Power consumption: 3 Watts
Two 3Gb/s, HD or SD inputs
270Mb/s or 1.5Gb/s or 3Gb/s serial compliant to SMPTE 259 or ASI data, SMPTE 292-1 and SMPTE 424/425-A
3Gb/s cable equalisation up to 80m using Belden 1694A. HD cable equalisation up to 140m with Belden 1694 or equivalent (approx. 100m with Belden 8281). SD cable equalisation >250m Belden 8281 or equivalent
Input return loss: -15dB for 50MHz to 1.5GHz
Auto 50/59.94/60Hz and video format selection
Passes all 3Gb/s, HD and SD signals transparently, including pathological signals
One optical output per channel using RM55 frame rear module
Two reclocked 3Gb/s, HD or SD input loop-throughs. These can be assigned as one input loop-through per channel or both loop-throughs can be assigned to Input 1
Meets the SMPTE 297-2006 short-haul specification. This allows operation with single-mode and multi-mode fibre
Laser safety classification: Class 1 FDA and IEC60825-1 Laser Safety compliant
Optical power: Max 0.0dBm, min -5.0dBm
Fibre pigtail: Single-mode 9/125uM
Optical wavelength: 1290-1330nm (1310 typical)
Extinction ratio: 7.5dB
Connector type: SC/PC
POSITION IN FRAME
The FTX-L 3G can be housed in any frame slot position but due to its extra height it is not possible to place most Standard Definition or audio cards directly above it when the FTX-L 3G is in even numbered slot positions. 3Gb/s and HD cards do not share this restriction
The FTX-L 3G can be housed in 2U frames shipped from February 2005, 1U frames shipped from June 2005 and desk top boxes shipped from April 2008. It can also be housed in any of the now-obsolete 4U frames
The FTX-L 3G can be supplied with CWDM (coarse wave division multiplexing) lasers. The output wavelengths are defined by the ITU and are available in specific combinations
For CWDM, order the FTX-L-CWDM 3G and specify which of the following laser pairs you require:
- 1271nm and 1291nm
- 1311nm and 1331nm
- 1351nm and 1371nm
- 1391nm and 1411nm
- 1431nm and 1451nm
- 1471nm and 1491nm
- 1511nm and 1531nm
- 1551nm and 1571nm
- 1591nm and 1611nm
- 1310nm and 1550nm
DELAY THROUGH BOARD
Link delay less than 100ns
LED INDICATION OF:
Power supplies okay
HD or SD input present
Laser near end of life
GPI OUTPUT LEVELS
Electrically: Open collector transistors 30V, 270 ohm current limit resistors. Pulled up to +5V through 6800 ohm
Six GPI outputs
Input present for each channel
Laser nearing end of life for each channel
Laser shutdown for each channel
DIP switch enables/disables laser
VisionWeb Control is available via the web server on the frame and allows operation using a standard web browser on a PC or tablet
Statesman Lite allows monitoring from any PC on a network
SNMP monitoring and control available as a frame option
Control using ASCII and JSON protocols
Monitor from integrated control panel on Indigo 1AE-DP frame
Monitor from VisionPanel 3U remote panel
What outputs do I get?
RM55 rear module label and connections
More about the RM55
Connectors: 4 BNCs and 2 optical input/output connectors
Frame slots used: 1
Boards in 2U: 12
Boards in 1U: 6
Boards in desk top box: 2
Why use it: It's the only rear module for the FTX-L 3G
Also used for: FRX 3G
For more visual technical information, download the FTX-L 3G block diagram.
What do I order?
First you need the 100mm x 266mm module...
- FTX-L 3G
- Dual channel 3Gb/s, HD or SD to fibre optic transmitter (For CWDM, order the FTX-L-CWDM 3G and inform Crystal Vision the laser wavelength pair you require)
Next choose your frame size and power supplies - from 2U to desk top box...
- Indigo 2SE
- CoolFlow 2U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to 12 Crystal Vision modules. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 1AE-DP
- 1U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU and integrated control panel for up to six Crystal Vision modules. Includes two fixed PS-80i power supplies. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 1SE-DP
- 1U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to six Crystal Vision modules. Includes two fixed PS-80i power supplies. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo DT
- Desk top box with passive front panel for up to two Crystal Vision modules. Includes fixed power supply
- Indigo DTSE
- Desk top box with active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to two Crystal Vision modules. Includes fixed power supply. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- 160 Watts power supply for Indigo 2SE frame. Requires either one PSU-160i (no redundancy) or two PSU-160i if power supply redundancy is required
You need a rear module to access your inputs and outputs...
- Single slot frame rear module. Allows maximum number of FTX-L 3G in frame (12 in 2U, six in 1U, two in desk top box). Gives access to two 3Gb/s, HD or SD inputs, two input loop-throughs and one optical output per channel
Finally - control. Use board edge switches, the integrated control panel if you've selected the 'AE' frame, a web browser running the free VisionWeb Control (included within the frame software), or alternatively order one of the items below...
- 3U Ethernet remote control panel with touch screen
- Statesman Lite
- Free-of-charge PC Control System - download the latest version
- SNMP monitoring and control available as a frame option
Who's using it?
Users of Crystal Vision fibre optic transmitters and receivers include...
- What does it cost? Request a quote for FTX-L 3G...
- Want to hire instead? Request a hire quote...
- What controls has it got? Try out the VisionWeb demo for FTX-L 3G..
- Want more information? Get the FTX-L 3G user manual (and SNMP MIB) by signing up for the Registered Area now
- The FTX-L 3G module needs to be housed in a rack frame - look at the frame options
- Bought Crystal Vision products in the last 60 days? Register these products now to upgrade your standard three year warranty to five years
From the Indigo frame system...
- FRX 3G 3G/HD/SD fibre optic receiver
From the Vision frame system...
Crystal Vision Ltd. is registered in England number 03139895. Registered office: Lion Technology Park, Station Road East, Whittlesford, Cambridge, CB22 4WL, England.
Tel: +44 (0)1223 497049 Fax: +44 (0)1223 497059 E-mail: email@example.com