LKEY 3 linear keyer
What is it?
3G/HD/SD linear keyer.
Reason to choose it...
It's our most affordable and space-saving solution for the keying of external graphics over 3Gb/s, HD or SD video streams – working with a total of 31 different video standards. You can fit 12 linear keyers in 2U, making it ideal for multi-channel keying applications. It will correct any timing errors automatically (with a framestore synchroniser on each input) and can compensate for big system delays. You'll also get masks with adjustable edge softness, fades, relay bypass protection and a choice of control.
Any applications where you want to key an externally-generated graphic on a 3Gb/s, HD or SD video feed, where you've used a video server or computer to generate and store the broadcast graphics. See who's using it.
Try out the LKEY 3 VisionWeb GUI (opens in new window) – you'll see how easy it is to operate LKEY 3 from your web browser, while exploring the full functionality of the product.
Got a question?
We would be very happy to answer any questions you've got about the LKEY 3. Either send us an e-mail or get an immediate response by speaking to us now on our Live Chat...
- Main features
- What outputs do I get?
- What do I order?
- Who's using it?
- Feature-packed linear keyer: use it to add one externally-generated graphic to a video signal
- Use it with any source: works with 3Gb/s, HD and SD (31 video standards in total)
- Generate the key in two different ways: using either luminance of key signal (External Key mode) or luminance of Foreground graphic (Self Key mode)
- Override the key signal: use the external masks to select just part of a key or to extend the key size
- Get the effect you're looking for: easy to adjust the opacity of the key for a semi-transparent effect
- Flexible fading: fade the keyed graphic in and out or fade the programme to black - either manually or as a timed transition
- Correct any timing errors automatically: includes a frame synchroniser on each input timed to an analogue reference
- Offset the graphic generator's delay or compensate for other big system delays: with ten frames of video delay adjustment
- Inputs and outputs accessed by using an appropriate rear module (either RM50 or RM73)
- Protect your output: optional relay bypass protection of the background programme (when used with RM73 rear module)
- Housed in Indigo rack frames - mix with any interface products
- Space-saving: 100mm x 266mm module allows 12 LKEY 3 in 2U (six in 1U and two in desk top box)
- Flexible control: GPI, frame integrated control panel, VisionPanel remote control panel, SBB-4 smart button box, SNMP, ASCII and JSON protocols, Statesman Lite PC software or the web browser-based VisionWeb Control
- Five year warranty (with product registration)
- This product is available to either purchase or hire, with hire pricing typically 6% of list price per week (with one week minimum hire period and £200 minimum charge)
Affordable and space-saving solution for keying any external graphics
LKEY 3 provides high quality keying of an externally-generated real-time graphic (such as a logo, caption or scoreboard) over a 3Gb/s, HD or SD video stream. It works with 31 different video standards, allowing it to be used in a variety of applications, from live broadcast to post production. It's equally suited for use upstream or downstream of your mixer.
Amongst LKEY 3's many features you'll find system timing functionality (with built-in video delay and frame synchronisers on each input), a choice of keying methods to suit your graphics, sophisticated masks with adjustable edge softness, relay bypass protection and the option to fade just the graphic or the whole programme.
The ability to fit 12 linear keyers in 2U makes it ideal for multi-channel keying applications.
LKEY 3 is Crystal Vision's most affordable and space-saving solution for the keying of external graphics.
Choose how you generate the key
LKEY 3 allows the key to be generated in two different ways.
External Key mode uses the luminance of a separate key signal to cut a hole in the Background programme and generally provides the highest quality result while allowing complete flexibility in the content of the keyed graphic, including permitting parts of the key to have varied video levels for a semi-transparent effect.
The simpler Self Key mode uses the luminance of the Foreground graphic itself to decide where the keying occurs, meaning only one channel is required and it is not necessary to generate a separate key signal which is aligned in position and time with the graphic.
LKEY 3 offers both additive and multiplicative linear keying, allowing you to choose a method to suit the graphics.
After the key is generated, fill video is inserted – usually the Foreground graphic or alternatively black or a colour produced by the internal matte generator.
It is easy to alter how the key signal affects the output image – such as compensating for a key signal which does not have enough amplitude to force full keying or creating a semi-transparent effect for your graphic – by changing the key gain and offset using the Min Clip and Max Clip controls.
Overrule the keying
LKEY 3 includes two internally-generated rectangular masks – adjustable in position and size – which can be used to overrule the key signal and prevent keying in particular areas of the picture by masking the visibility of either the Foreground or Background signal. The masks can be used either together or independently.
The Foreground mask is used to select only part of a key by overriding the other keys to force the Background programme signal. The Background mask is used to extend the key size by overriding the other keys to force the Foreground signal. The masks can alternatively be inverted to force keying to only occur outside a given area. Adjustable edge softness is useful for blending between masked and unmasked areas for a more natural-looking mask edge. The masks can additionally be used to provide a simple manual wipe.
The External Key signal can also be enabled as an External mask, to force the Background through a Self Key.
The keyed graphic can be faded in and out, either manually or as a timed transition lasting up to 100 video frames, using the Fade Keys control. These fade controls additionally provide another way to display the graphic with a semi-transparent effect.
LKEY 3 can also be used to fade the complete programme to black if required.
Correct any timing errors automatically
Any timing errors will be automatically corrected by the frame synchroniser on each input – synchronising sources up to one frame apart for easy system timing. Reference timing can be selected to come from the Foreground, Background or Key input or from SD Black and Burst or HD tri-level syncs.
Get built-in video delay
LKEY 3 also includes an additional ten frames of video delay on each input, ideal for aligning system processing delays which are greater than a frame – for example, the fill and key coming from a graphics machine may arrive several frames later than the background programme video. The delay is adjustable in one frame steps.
Select your output audio
LKEY 3 is easy to use in a system with embedded audio. The audio selected for embedding into the output video can be taken from any of the inputs, either from the Foreground, Background or External Key. Alternatively all ancillary data including embedded audio can be blanked.
LKEY 3 can be controlled in many different ways to suit all preferences.
Options include an integrated control panel on the front of the AE frame, the VisionPanel remote control panel or the SBB-4 smart button box. LKEY 3 can also be controlled using SNMP, our ASCII and JSON protocols, the Statesman Lite PC software or the VisionWeb Control web browser software. Try the LKEY 3 VisionWeb demo...
LKEY 3 additionally features flexible GPI control, with dedicated GPI inputs assigned to fading the key on and off, to fading the programme to black and to recalling up to four of the 40 presets, with these presets useful for storing settings such as lift, gain and fade time for a graphic.
Save rack space - and protect your output
LKEY 3 is a 100mm x 266mm board which fits in the Indigo frames (available in 2U, 1U and desk top box sizes) and saves you rack space by allowing up to 12 linear keyers to be housed in 2U – making it ideal for multi-channel keying applications.
The Foreground, Background and Key inputs and one main output and one auxiliary output are accessed by using either the RM50 or RM73 frame rear modules. The main and auxiliary outputs can independently show the video sources, the key, the Foreground matte colour or the combined picture.
The RM73 rear module provides useful relay bypass protection of the Background programme on power failure or board malfunction or removal.
Standard Crystal Vision module 266mm x 100mm
Power consumption: 12 Watts
Three 3Gb/s, HD or SD inputs (Foreground, Background and Key)
270Mb/s or 1.5Gb/s or 3Gb/s serial compliant to SMPTE 259, SMPTE 292-1 and SMPTE 424/425-A
Works with the following video standards: 1080p23.98, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p29.97, 1080p30, 1080p50, 1080p59.94, 1080p60, 1080PsF23.98, 1080PsF24, 1080PsF25, 1080PsF29.97, 1080PsF30, 720p50, 720p59.94, 720p60, 1080i50, 1080i59.94, 1080i60, 2048x1080p23.98*, 2048x1080p24*, 2048x1080p25*, 2048x1080p29.97*, 2048x1080p30*, 2048x1080PsF23.98*, 2048x1080PsF24*, 2048x1080PsF25*, 2048x1080PsF29.97*, 2048x1080PsF30*, 625i and 525i (*= YUV 4:2:2 10 bit)
3Gb/s cable equalisation up to 80m using Belden 1694A. HD cable equalisation up to 140m with Belden 1694A or equivalent (approx. 100m with Belden 8281). SD cable equalisation >200m Belden 8281 or equivalent
Input return loss: -15dB for 50MHz to 1.5GHz
One main output and one auxiliary output accessed by using RM50 or RM73 frame rear modules. Relay bypass protection of Background with RM73
270Mb/s or 1.5Gb/s or 3Gb/s serial compliant to SMPTE 259, SMPTE 292-1 and SMPTE 424/425-A
Output frame rate same as input frame rate
Both main and auxiliary outputs can be used to show Output Video, Output Key, Foreground Input, Background Input, Key Input and Foreground Matte
DELAY THROUGH BOARD
SD: 85us min
HD: 18us min
3Gb/s: 10us min
Maximum delay of ten frames user adjustable delay, plus up to a frame of synchroniser delay
Reference timing can be selected to come from Foreground, Background or Key input or from SD Black and Burst or HD tri-level syncs. 3Gb/s, HD or SD source can use either type of reference. When cross-locking it is necessary for both the video input and reference to share the same frame rate
A frame synchroniser on each input will automatically synchronise sources up to one frame apart in timing for automatic correction of any timing errors
Amplitude of syncs 150mV to 600mV
Link on PCB selects 75 ohm termination or high impedance
Optional ten frames of video delay on each input, adjustable in one frame steps, allows compensation for any big system delays
External Key mode uses luminance of a key signal to key graphic over the Background, while Self Key mode uses luminance value in the Foreground graphic
Foreground and Background can be mixed when no keying enabled nor fade keys control pressed
Key processing can be additive and multiplicative. Additive keying is only required with some caption generators where the Foreground is already processed
External Key controls: Enable, Multiply/Additive, Invert, Min Clip, Max Clip
Self Key controls: Enable, Multiply/Additive, Invert, Min Clip, Max Clip
The key can be made to have a semi-transparent effect by using areas of grey in the external key signal, by using the Min and Max Clip controls or by using the fade controls
INTERNAL MATTE GENERATOR
The Foreground and Background source can be replaced with black or a colour produced by an internal matte generator
INTERNAL MASK GENERATOR
Two internal masks available (Foreground and Background) which can be turned on or off, inverted to force keying outside an area and adjusted in position and size. Masks have edge softness controls to prevent hard edge on mask, with each edge individually selectable
Foreground mask is used to select only part of a key by forcing the Background signal
Background mask is used to extend the key size by forcing Foreground video
Foreground and Background mask controls: Enable, Invert, Mask Window: Left/Right/Top/Bottom edges adjustable from 0 to 100% (to set mask size and position), Mask Softness: Left/Right/Top/Bottom edges adjustable from 0 to 100%
The External Key signal can also be enabled as an External Mask, to force the Background through a Self Key. Controls are: Enable, Multiply/Additive, Invert, Min Clip, Max Clip
Masks can be used to provide simple manual wipe
Fade Keys control can be used to fade all enabled keys (External, Self) to show the Background input only. The key can be faded in or out, either manually or as a timed transition with fade time set to 0-100 video frames
Fade programme to black on main and auxiliary outputs, with fade time set to 0-100 video frames
Mix between Foreground and Background by pressing the Fade Keys auto transition button when no keys are enabled
Embedded audio is taken from any chosen input, allowing selection of audio from either the Foreground, Background or External Key input to output with the final video
All ancillary data including embedded audio can be blanked
The current board settings can be saved in one of 40 locations to be recalled as required
GPI INPUT LEVELS
Active: pull to ground, pulled up to +5V through 10 kohm
Six GPI inputs
Two are used for Key Fade with status tally
Two are used for Fade to Black with status tally
Two are used for the recall of up to four presets
VisionWeb Control is available via the web server on the frame and allows operation using a standard web browser on a computer, tablet or phone
Statesman Lite allows control from any PC on a network
SNMP monitoring and control available as a frame option
Control using ASCII and JSON protocols
Control from integrated control panel on Indigo 1AE-DP frame
Control from VisionPanel 3U remote panel
SBB-4 smart button box connects to the frame via Ethernet and provides four programmable LCD switches (which are configured for each order). The SBB-4 uses information from VisionWeb for settings. Uses Power over Ethernet so must be used with PoE enabled switch
What outputs do I get?
RM50 rear module label and connections
More about the RM50
Connectors: 6 BNCs
Frame slots used: 1
Boards in 2U: 12
Boards in 1U: 6
Boards in desk top box: 2
Why use it: It's the standard rear module for LKEY 3
RM73 rear module label and connections
More about the RM73
Connectors: 6 BNCs (with relay bypass)
Frame slots used: 1
Boards in 2U: 12
Boards in 1U: 6
Boards in desk top box: 2
Why use it: You want relay bypass protection
For more visual technical information, download the LKEY 3 block diagram.
What do I order?
First you need the 'double decker' 100mm x 266mm module...
- LKEY 3
- 3G/HD/SD linear keyer
Next choose your frame size and power supplies - from 2U to desk top box...
- Indigo 2SE
- CoolFlow 2U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to 12 Crystal Vision modules. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 1AE-DP
- 1U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU and integrated control panel for up to six Crystal Vision modules. Includes two fixed PS-80i power supplies. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 1SE-DP
- 1U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to six Crystal Vision modules. Includes two fixed PS-80i power supplies. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo DT
- Desk top box with passive front panel for up to two Crystal Vision modules. Includes fixed power supply
- Indigo DTSE
- Desk top box with active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to two Crystal Vision modules. Includes fixed power supply. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- 160 Watts power supply for Indigo 2SE frame. Requires either one PSU-160i (no redundancy) or two PSU-160i if power supply redundancy is required
You need a rear module to access your inputs and outputs...
- Single slot frame rear module. Allows maximum number of LKEY 3 in frame (12 in 2U, six in 1U, two in desk top box). Gives access to Foreground, Background and Key inputs with one main output and one auxiliary output
- Single slot frame rear module. Allows maximum number of LKEY 3 in frame (12 in 2U, six in 1U, two in desk top box). Provides relay bypass protection of the Background. Gives access to Foreground, Background and Key inputs with one main output and one auxiliary output
Finally - control. Complimentary options include the integrated control panel if you've selected the 1AE-DP frame, the VisionWeb web browser control and our ASCII and JSON protocols. Alternatively order one of the items below...
- 3U Ethernet remote control panel with touch screen
- Smart button box with four programmable LCD switches. It is powered by PoE (Power over Ethernet) and therefore needs to be connected to a PoE enabled switch
- Statesman Lite
- Free-of-charge PC Control System - download the latest version
- SNMP monitoring and control available as a frame option
Who's using it?
Users of the linear keyers in the Indigo and Vision ranges include...
- What does it cost? Request a quote for LKEY 3...
- Want to hire instead? Request a hire quote...
- What controls has it got? Try out the VisionWeb demo for LKEY 3...
- Want more information? Get the LKEY 3 user manual (and SNMP MIB) by signing up for the Registered Area now
- The LKEY 3 module needs to be housed in a rack frame - look at the frame options
- Bought Crystal Vision products in the last 60 days? Register these products now to upgrade your standard three year warranty to five years
From the Indigo frame system...
- Safire 3 3G/HD/SD real-time chroma keyer
- Safire 3 Xpress 3G/HD/SD real-time chroma keyer
- LKEY-SQZ 3G/HD/SD squeeze back keyer
- MultiLogo V132 HD/SD logo keyer with 4 GB store
- MultiLogo V132 8G HD/SD logo keyer with 8 GB store
- MultiLogo V432 HD/SD logo keyer with 4 GB store and four external inputs
- MultiLogo V432 8G HD/SD logo keyer with 8 GB store and four external inputs
From the Vision frame system...
Not sure which keyer is best for your application? Have a look at our Indigo and Vision keyers comparison chart to help you make a decision...
Crystal Vision Ltd. is registered in England number 03139895. Registered office: Lion Technology Park, Station Road East, Whittlesford, Cambridge, CB22 4WL, England.
Tel: +44 (0)1223 497049 E-mail: email@example.com