M-GWIPSDI-6 IP to SDI gateway
What is it?
IP to 3G/HD/SD SDI gateway app for SMPTE ST 2022 and ST 2110 video.
Reason to choose it...
It really is a feature-packed IP gateway. You'll get six channels, full VLAN support, tolerance to any input packet distribution, clean switching, sophisticated synchronising with a choice of timing sources including PTP, ten frames of video delay, unicast and multicast transmission support and both SDI and IP status monitoring. Plus it's future-proof – when this functionality is no longer required you can get a different app for your MARBLE-V1 hardware.
De-encapsulating SDI video feeds from uncompressed SMPTE ST 2022 and ST 2110 10GbE IP networks.
Try out the M-GWIPSDI-6 VisionWeb GUI (opens in new window) – you'll see how easy it is to operate the M-GWIPSDI-6 app from your web browser, while exploring the full functionality of the product.
Need extra features?
This software-based platform makes it easy for us to add additional features to the M-GWIPSDI-6 to solve the particular problem you've got. Just get in touch!
Got a question?
We would be very happy to answer any questions you've got about the M-GWIPSDI-6. Either send us an e-mail or get an immediate response by speaking to us now on our Live Chat...
- Main features
- What outputs do I get?
- What do I order?
- IP to 3G/HD/SD SDI gateway - now shipping
- Software app that runs on the MARBLE-V1 media processor
- De-encapsulates SDI from 10GbE IP networks
- Supports SMPTE ST 2022-6 and ST 2022-7 protocols and video within ST 2110 (supporting ST 2110-10, -20 and -21 standards)
- Converts to six HD/SD or three 3Gb/s SDI output connections, with flexible assignment of the converted flows from either of the two input 10GbE IP network interfaces
- Second 10GbE network interface can be configured for ST 2022-7 redundant input streaming or ST 2110 protect
- Tolerant of any input packet distribution
- Supports 31 SDI video standards
- Full range of VLAN support
- Unicast and multicast transmission support
- Instant clean switching between input flows, whatever their timing
- Choice of multiple timing sources with fail-over: PTP and two analogue Black and Burst or tri-level syncs references via Vision frame
- Know your signal is present and valid, thanks to signal monitoring and fault detection
- IP flow monitoring including packet loss, duplicated packets and packet delay variation
- Inputs and outputs accessed by using an appropriate rear module (VR06)
- Housed in Vision rack frames
- Space-saving: MARBLE-V1 media processor is a ‘double slot’ 96mm x 325mm card, with up to ten MARBLE-V1 fitting in 3U
- Flexible control and monitoring: frame integrated control panel, VisionPanel remote control panel, SBB-4 smart button box, SNMP, ASCII and JSON protocols or the web browser-based VisionWeb Control
- Five year warranty on MARBLE-V1 hardware (with product registration)
- One year of M-GWIPSDI-6 app support included, with additional years available to purchase
- This product is available to either purchase or hire, with hire pricing typically 6% of list price per week (with one week minimum hire period and £200 minimum charge)
Robust IP to SDI conversion
The M-GWIPSDI-6 IP gateway de-encapsulates SDI from uncompressed 10GbE IP networks and is the best choice for integrating IP into an SDI environment. It's ideal for any ST 2022 system and for ST 2110 studio environments when the video and audio are processed separately. It comes with an extensive list of features which bring multiple benefits to the broadcaster and which make it easy to get and keep IP systems working.
Supporting the SMPTE ST 2022-6 and 2022-7 protocols, as well as video within ST 2110, the M-GWIPSDI-6 converts to six HD/SD or three 3Gb/s SDI output connections, with flexible assignment of the converted flows from either of the two input 10GbE IP network interfaces.
Alternatively the second 10GbE network interface can be configured for SMPTE ST 2022-7 redundant input streaming or the protect equivalent for ST 2110.
Being six channel means it saves rack space while making each channel cost-effective, and also allows the user to switch between different inputs and send to multiple outputs. This flexible internal routing removes the need for additional distribution amplifiers and routing switches. Video glitches on input source switching are avoided thanks to the clean instant switching.
IP inputs are individually selectable between ST 2022 and ST 2110, allowing you to input both ST 2022 and ST 2110 at the same time if required.
When used with ST 2022, all video, audio and ancillary data is transferred from the IP input to the SDI output. When used with ST 2110, the video from the IP input is taken to the SDI output which will be output without embedded audio. ST 2110-30 audio packets are not processed within this app.
There is a choice of fibre modules for the fibre SFP+ 10GbE IP network interfaces: either 850nm multi-mode for up to 300m or 1310nm single-mode for up to 10km.
The M-GWIPSDI-6 is tolerant of any input packet distribution, with the variable input buffer compensating for any timing irregularities. Any traffic shaping option from ST 2110-21 can be used, or packets can come from a device which does not meet the shaping requirement of ST 2110-21.
Other features include full VLAN support with no restrictions and unicast and multicast transmission support.
It's a software app
The future-proof M-GWIPSDI-6 is a software app that runs on the MARBLE-V1 media processor – purpose-built GPU/CPU hardware that fits in the Vision frames.
As a system becomes all IP, less gateways are required - and apps that are bought with the hardware can be replaced with different apps as needs change, helping you make the most of your budget.
More about MARBLE-V1
Featuring a powerful CPU/GPU processor, the MARBLE-V1 media processor hardware has six bi-directional SDI connections and four 10GbE SFP+ network interface ports (as well as eight bi-directional discrete AES stereo channels for future products).
The software app installed determines the functionality.
Instant clean switching between flows
There are six clean switches and any of the input flows can be routed to any SDI output. Any network can be routed to any input flow.
Choice of timing sources
SDI sources are synchronised to a common reference timing source for clean switching of input flows to the SDI outputs. The framestore synchroniser makes all the timing identical and so allows for each output to cleanly switch between any of the inputs, and enables the app to give a continuous clean output when the selected input is disrupted.
The M-GWIPSDI-6 supports PTP in addition to the Vision frame's two analogue references as a timing source, with user configurable options for timing source priority and redundancy. The chosen reference is the global reference source for all input flows and SDI outputs.
Reference redundancy offers peace of mind in case the main reference source is disrupted or needs to be taken down for maintenance, while cross-locking allows for mixed reference type and format installations if required.
There are five options for the reference selection, selectable via VisionWeb. (See the Specification for full details.) Should the timing source at the top of the list become missing or invalid, the card will move down the list until it finds a valid timing reference source.
The output timing can be fully adjusted with respect to the chosen reference using three time-based controls (0 - 42ms adjustable in 0.1ms steps, 0 - 100us adjustable in 1us steps and 0 - 1us adjustable in 5ns steps), with the selected timing alignment global to all output flows.
An additional ten frames of video delay (adjustable in one frame steps) allows compensation for any big system delays and can be configured individually for each SDI output.
Monitoring your signals
Features are provided to speed up system trouble shooting, particularly helpful with IP being more challenging to debug than SDI. Comprehensive SDI, IP and PTP monitoring information is available and can be used to generate SNMP traps.
The status indications available are video present and time present, video format, video black, video frozen, video error, Reference 1 and 2 present and time present, Reference 1 and 2 format, PTP master and backup clock present and time present, audio groups present, channels within the audio group present and channels within the audio group present but silent. The video black and video frozen alert can be delayed by up to 120 seconds to prevent false alarming during brief video pauses. The audio silence alert is triggered at an audio level of -93dbFS and can be delayed by up to 120 seconds to prevent false warnings during quiet audio periods.
PTP presence and statistics (network delay, delay variation, reference offset and sync period) are monitored.
The IP flow monitoring on the input flows includes network error, packet loss, duplicated packets, packet delay variation, Ethernet interface ignored packets and Ethernet interface ignored multicast.
13 built-in test patterns can also help with fault finding.
All control is done remotely, with a choice of remote control and monitoring options for the M-GWIPSDI-6 app running on the MARBLE-V1 media processor.
Hardware control options include an integrated control panel on the Vision 3 frame, the VisionPanel remote control panel and the SBB-4 smart button box.
Software control options include SNMP, our ASCII and JSON protocols and the VisionWeb web browser control. Try the M-GWIPSDI-6 VisionWeb demo...
16 presets can be assigned and recalled.
- Find out more about the frame integrated control panel
- Find out more about VisionPanel
- Find out more about the SBB-4 smart button box
- Find out more about VisionWeb Control
- Find out more about SNMP
- Find out more about the ASCII and JSON protocols
Save rack space
Fitting in the standard Vision frames (currently available in 3U size), MARBLE-V1 is a space-saving 96mm x 325mm card that sits in one frame slot – allowing up to ten media processors in 3U. The double slot VR06 frame rear module is used to access the inputs and outputs on the M-GWIPSDI-6 app.
M-GWIPSDI-6 app running on MARBLE-V1 media processor...
‘Double slot’ Vision card 96mm x 303mm (96mm x 325mm including finger pull)
Power consumption: 25 Watts, plus 1 Watt for each SFP+ fitted to MARBLE-V1
INPUTS AND OUTPUTS
Input connections: Up to two fibre SFP+ 10GbE IP network interfaces. Choice of fibre modules: either 850nm multi-mode (for up to 300m) or 1310nm single-mode (for up to 10km)
Output connections: Six BNCs for SDI
Requires at least one SFP+ transceiver option, up to a maximum of two. Use one SFP+ to put all signals together and use two SFP+ to have main and protect or multicast and unicast on separate network interfaces
Inputs can be mixture of ST 2022 and ST 2110
Video, audio and data can be passed between ST 2022 and SDI
Video can be passed between ST 2110 and SDI, while audio and any other non-video data will be lost
Three 3Gb/s video over IP inputs or six HD or SD video over IP inputs
If the input is 3Gb/s then flows 1, 3 and 5 should be used, and flows 2, 4 and 6 (both input and output) should be disabled
Packet distribution is not important as variable input buffer will compensate for any timing irregularities. Any traffic shaping option from ST 2110-21 can be used, or packets can come from a device which does not meet the shaping requirement of ST 2110-21
A protect input for SMPTE ST 2022-7 seamless protection switching or the equivalent protect input in ST 2110-20 can come from either of the 10GbE IP network interfaces. This protects the stream from lost packets by creating two streams of the same data using different routing to the destination. Flow analyser handles the analysis and reconstruction of the protected stream. Any IP input can come from either of the 10GbE IP network interfaces and can either be multicast or unicast
Three 3Gb/s SDI outputs or six HD or SD SDI outputs270Mb/s or 1.5Gb/s or 3Gb/s serial compliant to SMPTE 259, SMPTE 292-1 and SMPTE 424/425-A
VIDEO FORMATS SUPPORTED
The video formats supported are 625i, 525i, 720p50, 720p59.94, 720p60, 1080i50, 1080i59.94, 1080i60, 1080p23.98, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p29.97, 1080p30, 1080p50, 1080p59.94, 1080p60, 1080PsF23.98, 1080PsF24, 1080PsF25, 1080PsF29.97, 1080PsF30, 2048x1080p23.98*, 2048x1080p24*, 2048x1080p25*, 2048x1080p29.97*, 2048x1080p30*, 2048x1080PsF23.98*, 2048x1080PsF24*, 2048x1080PsF25*, 2048x1080PsF29.97*, 2048x1080PsF30* (*= YUV 4:2:2 10 bit)
Protocols supported on network interfaces: SMPTE ST 2022-6, SMPTE ST 2022-7, SMPTE ST 2110-20 (uncompressed video), SMPTE ST 2110-10 (system architecture and synchronisation), SMPTE ST 2110-21 (traffic shaping), IGMPv3, ARP, ICMP ping, IPv4, IEEE802.1q, VLAN, IEEE802.3-2012 (10G Ethernet), LLDP
SDI is de-encapsulated from 10GbE IP networks
Any network can be routed to any input flow
There are six clean switches
Any of the input flows can be switched to any SDI output. The default setting is Flow 1 to SDI 1, Flow 2 to SDI 2, Flow 3 to SDI 3, Flow 4 to SDI 4, Flow 5 to SDI 5 and Flow 6 to SDI 6
VIDEO LOSS CONTROLS
The video loss/format mismatch controls allow the user to select what will happen to an SDI output in the event that the input is lost or the video format does not match the specified format. The user can specify to freeze the last good frame or show a black or blue screen or 100% colour bars (with or without an initial delay of three seconds). No output can also be selected. This is independently adjustable on each SDI output
The test pattern controls allow the user to override an input and force the SDI output to output a test pattern including Colour Bars, Blue, Black, EqCheck, PllCheck, Pluge, Checkfield, Grey Horizontal Steps, Grey Vertical Steps, Luma Horizontal Ramp, Luma Vertical Ramp, Cycle Colour or Checker Board, or to freeze the picture. This is independently adjustable on each SDI output
AUDIO MUTE CONTROL
The output audio mute control allows the user to mute the audio embedded within any of the SDI or ST 2022 outputs
SYNCHRONISER AND TIMING ADJUSTMENTS
Video sources are synchronised to common reference timing source for clean switching of input flows to the SDI outputs
Choice of timing options:
- PTP (SMPTE 2059-2) master and backup, via 10GbE IP network interface
- Two tri-level syncs or analogue Black and Burst references (Reference 1 and Reference 2), connected via the Vision 3 frame
Chosen reference is the global reference source for all input flows and SDI outputs
There are five options for the reference selection, selectable via VisionWeb. The hierarchy runs from left to right – should the timing source at the top of the list become missing or invalid, the card will move down the list until it finds a valid timing reference source:
(“PTP” means PTP Master>PTP Backup. “Hold” means it will hold the timing of the last good reference)
When using video reference, video inputs can be different formats but only inputs with the same frame rate as reference video will be locked to that reference. Input signals of same frame rate as reference will be locked together and locked to external reference. Inputs with a differing frame rate will be locked and maintain timing with no drift, but their sync point will be undefined (all same frame rate signals will, however, be locked to each other)
When using PTP reference, input sources of different format and/or frame rate will all be correctly locked to the PTP reference
When Auto relock enable is selected, the card will automatically relock when a lost reference is restored. Selecting Force lock (with Auto relock disabled) will force the synchroniser to relock after a reference is restored, and can be activated at a non-critical time to avoid video disturbance
Output timing can be fully adjusted with respect to the reference using three time-based controls: 0 - 42ms adjustable in 0.1ms steps, 0 - 100us adjustable in 1us steps and 0 - 1us adjustable in 5ns steps. Sub frame timing alignment to chosen reference is global to all outputs
An additional ten frames of video delay (adjustable in one frame steps) allows compensation for any big system delays. This delay can be configured individually for each SDI output
All ancillary data from ST 2022 is passed from input to output. ST 2110 input is video only
LED INDICATION OF:
The current app settings can be saved in one of 16 locations to be recalled as required
Comprehensive SDI, IP and PTP monitoring information is available and can be used to generate SNMP traps
Checks can be performed on the following video and audio parameters:
- Video present and time present
- Video format
- Video black
- Video frozen
- Video error
- Audio group 1 present
- Audio group 2 present
- Audio group 3 present
- Audio group 4 present
- Audio present on group 1 channel 1
- Audio present on group 1 channel 2
- Audio present on group 1 channel 3
- Audio present on group 1 channel 4
- Audio present on group 2 channel 5
- Audio present on group 2 channel 6
- Audio present on group 2 channel 7
- Audio present on group 2 channel 8
- Audio present on group 3 channel 9
- Audio present on group 3 channel 10
- Audio present on group 3 channel 11
- Audio present on group 3 channel 12
- Audio present on group 4 channel 13
- Audio present on group 4 channel 14
- Audio present on group 4 channel 15
- Audio present on group 4 channel 16
- Silence group 1 channel 1
- Silence group 1 channel 2
- Silence group 1 channel 3
- Silence group 1 channel 4
- Silence group 2 channel 5
- Silence group 2 channel 6
- Silence group 2 channel 7
- Silence group 2 channel 8
- Silence group 3 channel 9
- Silence group 3 channel 10
- Silence group 3 channel 11
- Silence group 3 channel 12
- Silence group 4 channel 13
- Silence group 4 channel 14
- Silence group 4 channel 15
- Silence group 4 channel 16
Black or frozen video will be indicated by an amber LED. This alert can be delayed by 1-120 seconds to prevent false warnings during brief video pauses
The audio silence alert is triggered at an audio level of -93dbFS and can be delayed by 1-120 seconds to prevent false warnings during quiet audio periods
The following IP parameters are monitored for input flows:
- Network error
- Packet loss
- Duplicated packets
- Packet delay variation. Shown as the skew (difference in time of packet arrival) between the main and protected input, and also as the min and max nano second gap between the packets on each input
The Ethernet interfaces are monitored for:
- Count of packets ignored by the app (general network traffic non-media packets, which do not require processing by the app). Jumps in 100 step increments indicate network traffic flood
- Ignored multicast packets. LED indicates multicast traffic not requested by the app is present on the Ethernet Interface, indicating incorrectly configured IGMP at the network switch
References are monitored for:
- Reference 1 and 2 present and time present
- Reference 1 and 2 format
- PTP master and backup clock present and time present
- PTP statistics – network delay, delay variation, reference offset and sync period
VisionWeb Control is available via the web server on the frame and allows control and monitoring using a standard web browser on a computer, tablet or phone
SNMP monitoring and control available as standard
Control using ASCII and JSON protocols
Control from integrated control panel on Vision 3 frame
Control from VisionPanel 3U remote panel
SBB-4 smart button box connects to the frame via Ethernet and provides four programmable LCD switches (which are configured for each order). The SBB-4 uses information from VisionWeb for settings. Uses Power over Ethernet so must be used with PoE enabled switch
What outputs do I get?
VR06 rear module label and connections
More about the VR06
Connectors: 6 BNCs, 1 D-Type and 2 dual LC fibre
Frame slots used: 2
Boards in 3U: 10
Why use it: It's the only rear module for the M-GWIPSDI-6
For more visual technical information, download the M-GWIPSDI-6 block diagram.
What do I order?
First you need the software app...
- IP gateway which supports SMPTE ST 2022 and ST 2110 video. Converts to six HD/SD or three 3Gb/s SDI output connections, with flexible assignment of the converted flows from either of the two input 10GbE IP network interfaces. Alternatively the second network interface can be configured for SMPTE ST 2022-7 or ST 2110 redundant input streaming. Software app which runs on the MARBLE-V1 media processor
Now choose your media processor hardware and SFP+ modules...
Next select your frame...
- Vision 3
- 3U frame with integrated control panel and smart CPU for up to 20 Crystal Vision cards from the Vision range. Includes two PSU3-VF power supplies for redundancy. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
You need a rear module to access your inputs and outputs...
- Two slot frame rear module. Allows ten M-GWIPSDI-6 in 3U. Gives access to two 10GbE IP input network interfaces on dual LC and six HD/SD or three 3Gb/s output connections on BNCs
Next - control. Complimentary options include the frame's integrated control panel, the VisionWeb web browser control, SNMP and our ASCII and JSON protocols. Alternatively order one of the items below...
- 3U Ethernet remote control panel with touch screen
- Smart button box with four programmable LCD switches. It is powered by PoE (Power over Ethernet) and therefore needs to be connected to a PoE enabled switch
Finally - extended support if required...
- App support
- Purchase with M-GWIPSDI-6 app to get software upgrades for changes in standards, new features and bug fixes plus telephone and e-mail operational support (with support for the first year included for free)
- What does it cost? Request a quote for the M-GWIPSDI-6...
- Want to hire instead? Request a hire quote...
- What controls has it got? Try out the VisionWeb demo for the M-GWIPSDI-6...
- Want more information? Get the M-GWIPSDI-6 user manual (and SNMP MIB) by signing up for the Registered Area now
- Should you buy app support? Find out more about it in the App support conditions document
- The M-GWIPSDI-6 app runs on the MARBLE-V1 media processor hardware which needs to be housed in a Vision 3 rack frame - find out more about the frame...
From the Vision frame system...
- MARBLE-V1 media processor hardware which runs Crystal Vision's software apps
- M-GWSDIIP-6 3G/HD/SD SDI to IP gateway app for SMPTE ST 2022 and ST 2110 video
- M-GWIPIP-6 IP to IP translator app for SMPTE ST 2022 and ST 2110 video
Crystal Vision Ltd. is registered in England number 03139895. Registered office: Lion Technology Park, Station Road East, Whittlesford, Cambridge, CB22 4WL, England.
Tel: +44 (0)1223 497049 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org