Smart Switch 3G
What is it?
3G/HD/SD intelligent 2 x 2 routing switch.
Reason to choose it...
This auto changeover switch is a price-competitive way to get immediate notification of signal problems – perfect for large systems or unmanned automatic playout facilities. With its ability to monitor an amazing 20 different video and audio parameters, you can customise Smart Switch 3G to your own needs: it will decide which of the two inputs is better based on the signal errors that are significant to you. You can trust it to always make the best decision, while it includes relay bypass protection.
Automatic monitoring of servers or other equipment where minor disruption to the output doesn't matter – such as before other processing equipment or before an MPEG encoder which is protected by a synchroniser. See who's using it.
Try out the Smart Switch 3G VisionWeb demo (opens in new window) – you'll see how easy it is to operate Smart Switch 3G from your web browser, while exploring the full functionality of the product.
Got a question?
We would be very happy to answer any questions you've got about the Smart Switch 3G. Either send us an e-mail or get an immediate response by speaking to us now on our Live Chat...
- Main features
- What outputs do I get?
- What do I order?
- Who's using it?
- 3G/HD/SD 2 x 2 intelligent routing switch
- Monitors two video inputs with up to four groups of embedded audio - can switch between sources if specified fault condition arises (and standby is free of that fault)
- Select from 20 different parameters to trigger a switch, and choose to monitor any number of parameters in any combination
- Video parameters are input missing, input video standard incorrect, EDH missing, EDH full field error, EDH active picture error, line CRC error, active video black and active video frozen
- Audio parameters are audio group 1 missing, audio group 2 missing, audio group 3 missing, audio group 4 missing and audio silence in a selected group
- Also includes four Boolean parameters, where all conditions must be met simultaneously
- Will work to the most significant feature to decide which input to select, with error priority rating
- Inputs and outputs accessed by using an appropriate rear module (either RM53 or RM54)
- Relay bypass protection available on RM54 frame rear module
- Housed in Indigo rack frames
- Space-saving: 100mm x 266mm module allows 12 Smart Switch 3G in 2U (six in 1U and two in desk top box)
- Flexible control: board edge, GPI, frame integrated control panel, VisionPanel remote control panel, SNMP, ASCII and JSON protocols, Statesman Lite PC software or the web browser-based VisionWeb Control
- Five year warranty (with product registration)
- This product is available to either purchase or hire, with hire pricing typically 6% of list price per week (with one week minimum hire period and £200 minimum charge)
Intelligent and automatic 2 x 2 switching
Smart Switch 3G is ideal for securing the video output in systems that demand high reliability.
This auto changeover switch provides intelligent 2 x 2 switching to a backup signal source by monitoring two 3Gb/s, HD or SD video inputs with up to four groups of embedded audio, and switching between the sources if a specified fault condition arises – no matter how subtle the fault.
If you need immediate reaction to large system signal problems or you want peace of mind for your unmanned automatic playout facility, Smart Switch 3G is a product you can trust to keep you on air.
Choosing the best input
Smart Switch 3G extracts information about various parts of the video signal to decide which of the two inputs is better, based on the engineer’s selection of which faults are significant.
It features an unrivalled number of switching criteria, with the monitoring of 20 video and audio parameters on both the primary and standby inputs – and with any number of these criteria able to be selected.
Smart Switch 3G is used with the Statesman Lite PC software or VisionWeb web browser control to select the switching criteria.
One GPI can be configured using Statesman Lite or VisionWeb to show an alarm condition for any individual or group of error conditions.
Select from 20 different fault conditions
The parameters which can be selected to perform a switch, and which are listed in order of priority, are input present, input video standard, video frozen, video black, various EDH errors (SD only), line CRC error (HD only), audio group 1 missing, audio group 2 missing, audio group 3 missing, audio group 4 missing and silence on a specific audio channel.
There are also four special ‘combined conditions’ parameters which only flag an error if all the conditions are met simultaneously.
Further flexibility comes from the option to set a time period of between 2 and 60 seconds before the video black, video frozen and audio silence parameters trigger a switch.
Trust it to always make the best decision
Smart Switch 3G will switch away from an error on the main input only if the backup is free of that fault, while should the main and standby inputs have different alarms set Smart Switch 3G will work to the most significant feature to decide which feed to select.
Choose when to switch back
Following a switch it can either reselect the main feed automatically (with the option to set a time period for which the signal must be good before switching back) or by user intervention.
Or...use it as a manual switch
Smart Switch 3G can also be switched manually, either immediately or in the vertical blanking period to enable a cleaner switch, with the Smart Switch 3G taking timing information from input 2 to determine the correct time to switch.
Save rack space - and protect your output
Smart Switch 3G combines intelligence with space-saving benefits, with this 100mm x 266mm module fitting in Crystal Vision’s standard frames which allows easy integration with any other products from the range.
The inputs and outputs are accessed by using the RM53 and RM54 frame rear modules, which give two outputs of the main signal and one output of the standby.
The RM54 includes relay bypass protection for the main feed on power failure or board removal, giving your system that extra layer of security and preventing signal loss.
Choose your control
Control can be from board edge switches, an integrated front panel on the AE frames, the VisionPanel remote control panel, GPIs, SNMP, the Statesman Lite PC software and the VisionWeb web browser control. Try the Smart Switch 3G VisionWeb demo...
Standard Crystal Vision module 266mm x 100mm
Power consumption: 11 Watts
Two 3Gb/s, HD or SD inputs (1 and 2)
270Mb/s or 1.5Gb/s or 3Gb/s serial compliant to SMPTE 259M, SMPTE 292M and SMPTE 424M
The video formats supported are 625, 525, 720p50, 720p59.94, 720p60, 1080i50, 1080i59.94, 1080i60, 1080p50, 1080p59.94 and 1080p60
3Gb/s cable equalisation up to 80m using Belden 1694A. HD cable equalisation up to 140m with Belden 1694A or equivalent (approx. 100m with Belden 8281). SD cable equalisation >250m Belden 8281 or equivalent
Input return loss: - 15dB for 50MHz to 1.5GHz
Auto 50/59.94/60Hz and video format selection
Two independent ports with two outputs of the main input and one output of the standby using RM53 and RM54 frame rear modules
270Mb/s or 1.5Gb/s or 3Gb/s serial compliant to SMPTE 259M, SMPTE 292M and SMPTE 424M. Output follows the input format
The RM54 frame rear module provides relay bypass protection. An electromechanical relay switch needs power to hold the switch in one state and will revert to the other state (board bypass) on loss of power. It prevents signal loss by mechanically connecting the Smart Switch 3G’s main input to its main output 1 on complete frame power failure or board removal
DELAY THROUGH BOARD
Smart Switch 3G performs checks on the following parameters (listed in order of priority) which can trigger an automatic switch or activate the GPI output, with the user able to select a number of parameters in any combination:
* Input missing: Based on correctly positioned valid sync words in the data stream. If a valid input is not present then an alarm will be raised
* Input video standard incorrect: If a specific video standard is selected, then an input of a different standard will be treated as an error condition
* EDH missing (SD only): No EDH packets
* EDH full field error (SD only): Received EDH value does not match the data
* EDH active picture error (SD only): Received EDH value does not match the data
* Line CRC error (HD only): Received CRC value does not match the data
* Audio group 1 missing: If embedded audio group 1 is missing, an alarm is triggered
* Audio group 2 missing: If embedded audio group 2 is missing, an alarm is triggered
* Audio group 3 missing: If embedded audio group 3 is missing, an alarm is triggered
* Audio group 4 missing: If embedded audio group 4 is missing, an alarm is triggered
* Active video black: If all the luma samples within the active picture area are less than 13mV from nominal black value then an alarm will be triggered. The period of time for which the picture must remain black can be set from 2 to 60 seconds. The entire active picture must be continuously black for the full period – a single non-black sample restarts the delay period
* Active video frozen: An active picture checksum is calculated, and if it remains unchanged then the video is considered to be frozen and an alarm condition will be set. The period of time for which the picture must remain frozen can be set from 2 to 60 seconds. The entire active picture must be continuously frozen for the full period – a single non-frozen frame restarts the delay period
* Audio silence (channels 1, 2, 3 or 4): A separate audio level check is performed for each of the four channels in the selected group. If the audio signal level falls below -56dBFs for a period of time from 2 to 60 seconds, then an alarm is triggered. All four channels share the same silence time setting. The audio on the channels must be continuously silent for the full period – a single non-silent sample restarts the delay period
* Black AND channel 1 silent AND channel 2 silent: A logical combination of conditions, which only flag an error if all the conditions are met simultaneously
* Black AND channel 3 silent AND channel 4 silent: Only flags an error if all the conditions are met simultaneously
* Frozen AND channel 1 silent AND channel 2 silent: Only flags an error if all the conditions are met simultaneously
* Frozen AND channel 3 silent AND channel 4 silent: Only flags an error if all the conditions are met simultaneously
The switch timing can be either immediate or timed and will apply to both outputs
Timed switching as defined in SMPTE RP168-2002 or immediate switching if primary input is faulty and standby is free of that fault. Smart Switch 3G will not switch away from the primary source if it detects that the standby source contains an error with a higher priority rating than the error detected on the primary source
A timed switch will occur in the correct time period according to the reference input (input 2 if valid)
Smart Switch 3G can be set to switch back automatically or by user intervention
Automatically: the board will switch back if the original input returns to a valid state. A programmable delay can be added to ensure the previously faulty input remains good for the selected time period
User intervention: if the board auto switches away from an invalid input it will stay on the new selection until the routing is changed by the user, or the new input becomes invalid
LED INDICATION OF:
Input 1 valid
Input 2 valid
Main output source
Aux output source
GPI INPUT LEVELS
Active pull to ground, pulled up to +5V through 4700 ohm
GPI OUTPUT LEVELS
Electrically: Open collector transistors 48V, 270 ohm current limit resistors. Pulled up to +5V through 6800 ohm
Five GPI inputs
Used to control input selection/routing, plus tally out
GPI control allows for direct connection to lamps and switches or to an automation system
One GPI output
Will be asserted whenever a monitored error is encountered on either of the inputs
Can be configured to show an alarm condition for any individual or group of error conditions by ticking check boxes on VisionWeb or Statesman Lite
Intuitive board edge interface with two select buttons, shaft encoder and ten character alphanumeric display
Control from integrated control panel on AE frames and remote panel
Statesman Lite allows control and status monitoring from any PC on a network
VisionWeb Control is available via the web server on the frame and allows operation using a standard web browser on a PC or tablet
SNMP monitoring and control available as a frame option
Control using ASCII and JSON protocols
What outputs do I get?
RM53 rear module label and connections
More about the RM53
Connectors: 6 BNCs
Frame slots used: 1
Boards in 2U: 12
Boards in 1U: 6
Boards in desk top box: 2
Why use it: You're looking for the most cost-effective rear module for Smart Switch 3G and don't need relay bypass protection
Also used for: SW221 3G
RM54 rear module label and connections
More about the RM54
Connectors: 6 BNCs
Frame slots used: 1
Boards in 2U: 12
Boards in 1U: 6
Boards in desk top box: 3
Why use it: You want relay bypass protection
For more visual technical information, download the Smart Switch 3G block diagram.
What do I order?
First you need the 100mm x 266mm module...
- Smart Switch 3G
- 3G/HD/SD intelligent 2 x 2 routing switch
Next choose your frame size and power supplies - from 2U to desk top box...
- Indigo 2AE
- 2U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU and integrated control panel for up to 12 Crystal Vision modules. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 2SE
- CoolFlow 2U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to 12 Crystal Vision modules. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 1AE
- 1U frame with active front panel featuring smart CPU and integrated control panel for up to six Crystal Vision modules. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 1SE
- 1U frame with active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to six Crystal Vision modules. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 1AE-DP
- 1U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU and integrated control panel for up to six Crystal Vision modules. Includes two fixed PS-80i power supplies. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo 1SE-DP
- 1U frame with power supply redundancy and active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to six Crystal Vision modules. Includes two fixed PS-80i power supplies. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- Indigo DT
- Desk top box with passive front panel for up to two Crystal Vision modules. Includes fixed power supply
- Indigo DTSE
- Desk top box with active front panel featuring smart CPU for up to two Crystal Vision modules. Includes fixed power supply. Allows Ethernet connection to a PC
- 160 Watts power supply for 1U (non-DP) and 2U frames. 1U frames require one PSU-160i (no redundancy). 2U frames require either one PSU-160i (no redundancy) or two PSU-160i if power supply redundancy is required
You need a rear module to access your inputs and outputs...
- Single slot frame rear module. Allows maximum number of Smart Switch 3G in frame (12 in 2U, six in 1U, two in desk top box). Gives access to two 3Gb/s, HD or SD inputs (main and standby) with two outputs of the main signal and one output of the standby
- Single slot frame rear module. Allows maximum number of Smart Switch 3G in frame (12 in 2U, six in 1U, two in desk top box). Provides relay bypass protection of the input. Gives access to two 3Gb/s, HD or SD inputs (main and standby) with two outputs of the main signal and one output of the standby
Finally - control. Use board edge switches, the integrated control panel if you've selected one of the 'AE' frames, a web browser running the free VisionWeb Control (included within the frame software), or alternatively order one of the items below...
- 3U Ethernet remote control panel with touch screen
- Statesman Lite
- Free-of-charge PC Control System - download the latest version
- SNMP monitoring and control available as a frame option
Who's using it?
Users of Crystal Vision's routing switches include...
- What does it cost? Request a quote for Smart Switch 3G...
- Want to hire instead? Request a hire quote...
- What controls has it got? Try out the VisionWeb demo for Smart Switch 3G...
- Want more information? Get the Smart Switch 3G user manual (and SNMP MIB) by signing up for the Registered Area now
- The Smart Switch 3G module needs to be housed in a rack frame - look at the frame options
- Bought Crystal Vision products in the last 60 days? Register these products now to upgrade your standard three year warranty to five years
- SW221 3G 3G/HD/SD 2 x 2 routing switch
- Safe Switch 3G 3G/HD/SD 2 x 2 clean switch
- Safe Switch-L 3G 3G/HD/SD 2 x 2 clean switch (extra outputs)
- SW803 3G 3G/HD/SD 8 x 3 crosspoint routing switch
Not sure which switch is best for your application? Have a look at our routing switches comparison chart to help you make a decision...
Crystal Vision Ltd. is registered in England number 03139895. Registered office: Lion Technology Park, Station Road East, Whittlesford, Cambridge, CB22 4WL, England.
Tel: +44 (0)1223 497049 Fax: +44 (0)1223 497059 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org